#1 briansfurniture2

briansfurniture2

New visitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 03:37 PM

Attached File  1vaninside1.jpg   48.24K   6382 downloads
Attached File  1vaninside3.jpg   80.96K   6215 downloadsAttached File  1vaninside2.jpg   65.94K   5127 downloads

Hi B)

Just thought I would post on what I did to the inside of my 2001 ford E150 cargo van. When I bought it a few years ago the back had those metal shelves and divider in it. I did not need those so I took them out and sold them and also took the divider out as it made it hard to see how the back side window.

I wanted to do something to the interior of the back as it was just metal walls like it came from the factory. The floor had a hard rubber mat on it, which was probably also factory installed. I had got a catalog from Adrian Steel in Michigan on their cargo liner kits they have, which are boards covered with trunk type carpeting and then they snap in place using those nylon type fasteners into the holes already inside the back part of a cargo van interior. But Adrian Steel wanted around $800 for the kit to do my van and that only included the walls and ceiling and doors.

So I decided this year to make my own panels to save me some money

It turned out really nice

I used 1/8" hardboard or masonite type board from Menards

I started with the doors to get some practice on what I was doing.

I cut the boards to size and then applied carpeting

I used Ozite brand indoor outdoor carpeting that comes in 6 by 8 foot rolls at Menards.

It is a thin carpet with no padding and is super easy to cut and use. And it also has a sparkle to the carpet, must be the way they manufacture it or something.

I glued the carpet to the board using indoor outdoor carpet adhesive, also from Menards. I find their prices to be about the lowest on this type of stuff I needed.

I did the door panels, the ceiling, and the walls of the backpart inside my Ford cargo van.

I did the walls and ceiling in sections to make it easier on me to handle things.

After I glued the carpet and let it dry good I installed the panels inside my van. I used the support sections on the van to drill my holes to run screws into for mounting the boards. The support sections are double section steel and there is a gap inbetween that and the outside metal wall in the van so I knew I would be ok with using screws.

I found the black metal drywall or paneling screws worked the best and did not show that much. I used the 1" long screws.

Everything turned out great.

On the seams I used some scrap pieces of the hardboard I had left and covered a 1" wide by whatever length I needed with extra carpet I had left and also glued that on. And then screwed those pieces on over the seams. That really helped to complete the project as it gave it a finished look.

I found a staple gun with 1/4" long staples in it helped on the backside of the boards when I wrapped the carpet around the side edges to hold it in place on the backside which would be facing the metal of the van and not show.

Total I had about $150 in the masonite board, glue, carpet, and screws. That was a savings of around $650 versus using the Adrian Steel interior kit, which is basically the same thing I did on my own of covering board with carpet and installing in my van interior back section.

I used a medium gray color Ozite indoor outdoor carpet in 6 X 8 rolls. I found it at Menards and that is the only store I could find it at and it may be a seasonal item as the store here in Findlay, Ohio ran out of the carpet towards September and I had to go to the Lima Ohio store to get 1 last roll to finish my project. The carpet I used has thin lines in it. Ozite makes different types of carpet but I think the carpet I used would be the best for anyone else wanting to do a similiar project for their van interior.

You can contact Ozite thru their website if you are looking for carpeting made by them, they can give you stores names that carry their products.

I would guess total time I had involved in the project would be around 15 to 20 hours. I did it in sections and worked on it when I had time. It turned out real nice and I am glad I decided to try and do it myself.

I used that spray in foam insulation you get in cans to fill in some of the empty space between the sidewalls over the wheelwells etc. That helped to keep down some of the road noise.

The floor I found someone on Ebay that sells Cargo van carpet for Ford Vans, it is takeout stuff from the conversion van factorys that take out the factory carpet before installing other carpet. I got the floor section for about $60 plus shipping from Michigan. You can do a search on Ebay for that carpet as I know he still sells it on there. The pieces are virtually new as they were only used from the ford factory to the conversion van places. The ones he sells are a medium gray color and are nice.

I set up at shows and fleamarkets with things I sell and sometimes I sleep in the back of my van during the summer at the shows at night to save on motel cost and wanted the inside of the back part of the van to look nice plus provide some insulation.

I will try and get some photos posted so you can see how it turned out. Thank you. :)

#2 Roger

Roger

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:15 PM

Wow!.. It sounds like you did a nice job. Can't wait to see the pictures. If you don't mind me asking,, where in Michigan did you buy the floor carpet from?.

Oh,, welcome to the site. :D
The never ending project:
74 E-100,,,302, Auto, P/S, P/B, A/C... Nickname "Rondo"
65 E-100,,,240, 3 on the tree.......... Nickname "The Fish"
-------------------------------------------------------------

#3 briansfurniture2

briansfurniture2

New visitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 04:02 AM

Hi,

I will post some photos later this evening.

I got the carpet for the Floor from a seller on Ebay. I don't remember his user name but if you do a search on Ebay for Ford Van Carpet you should pull up one of his listings for it as he usually has it on there, he also sells other Ford Van parts once in a while too. They are takeout carpets from cargo vans that go to the van conversion places from the ford factory.

The carpet for the panels I made I bought at the Menards store in the flooring section.

thanks. :D

#4 claykuch

claykuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 08:15 PM

Nice job.
1974 Econoline E300 Camper

#5 Roger

Roger

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,363 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 10:58 PM

Nice!... Those carpeted strips sure make for a clean looking job.
The never ending project:
74 E-100,,,302, Auto, P/S, P/B, A/C... Nickname "Rondo"
65 E-100,,,240, 3 on the tree.......... Nickname "The Fish"
-------------------------------------------------------------

#6 briansfurniture2

briansfurniture2

New visitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 08:31 PM

Thanks everyone, glad you liked the panels I made for my van interior.

The carpeted strip pieces really helped to give it a finished look versus just having the seams showing.

And using screws to install the panels will let me take them off and on if I would want to cut openings for more speakers, lights, etc.

I forgot to put in my info that I did also use some of that regular foam carpet padding and glued that to the metal walls on most of the area except the ceiling before I installed the carpeted panels, and that also helped to cut down on road noise and also helped to insulate the van.

I found that using higher grade carpet adhesive you get in buckets at places like Menards for just $12 for about a gallon size bucket was a lot cheaper than using spray adhesive and I had tried spray adhesive on the door panels and found that the carpet adhesive in buckets holds better than the spray glue does and is a lot cheaper to use. I just applied the glue to the boards with a brush and then put the carpet on.

I am trying to find a supplier for LED tube lighting that I could use inside my van in the back to give it some extra light. I know they have out LED tube lighting for under cars, etc, but thought mabye I could find some in clear lights in LED in the tube style lighting for 12 volts.

#7 dso41

dso41

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 09:21 PM

LED lighting in a tube for under cars? Search E-bay, lots of people selling those.

#8 -eagle-

-eagle-

New visitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 January 2009 - 08:47 PM

So nice. I've been searching online for this very project. Thanks for the write up, i hope mine turns out half that nice.

One problem I've found before starting is a mounting point on the ceiling. I have a wall built in my van and the ribs for mounting across the ceiling don't break where the wall is. There is a gap between the wall and previous rib that is about 2 or 3 feet. Anyhow, thanks for posting this up, very helpful.

#9 flyin_dutchman

flyin_dutchman

New visitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 12:58 AM

Can anyone tell how their job came out?

Eagle - Did you do this? Any further tips/advice for us? I too think this would look great.

My question is: how did you cut the boards to fit exactly correct? Just measure and cut, or cut oversize and trim to fit?

Thanks!!!

Dave-O

#10 Don

Don

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:Surfing,Making surfboards,Restoring my van

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:58 PM

Hi Dave-O
I used some paper from a roll.You can tape news paper together.And always error on the big side.(Room for Trimming)
Thanks Don
DAWGY WOULD GO!

#11 JDM_GUY

JDM_GUY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:29 PM

nice job, very OEM look.

#12 -eagle-

-eagle-

New visitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

Hey, I'm still slowly nibbling away at this project. Will post up pictures when I'm totally finished.
Here is what I'm using to do it.

1/8" 4x8 paneling from a local wholesale.
3m or Elmers adhesive spray glue
Thin fleece from the walmart craft section. Stretches for application & looks like car interior.
1/2 screws
7/16 carpet padding for insulation. cut it to fit in between the mounting studs then glued on back of panels.

Took clear plastic, taped to the doors and traced template.
Going to attempt to make these on hinges so it flips down. I use the door slots for storage.
Starting on that and tying up some loose ends before I post up.
Would be coming along quicker but I'm using the van for mx on the weekends.

As far as the tight tolerance fits:
Leave the cuts long, put them in place and take a sharpie to the places where the panels still hit.
Slowly jig saw these marks away until it fits in flush. Keep in mind that after wrapping carpet around the panels every fit will be tighter.

#13 BillFelt

BillFelt

New visitor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Very nice job!

#14 MisterEd

MisterEd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Things mechanical,DIY,restoring/repurposing

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:14 AM

Looks good! You did a nice job.

Here is one way to hide the screw heads:

http://www.pro-dec.com/

They come in a variety of colors or certain ones can be covered in fabric.

#15 OrangeSpear

OrangeSpear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

looks great. thanks for the input. I think may use this application to do my ceiling.

My other past builds

1984 Scrambler CJ8

1981 CJ7 Juggy

Stickers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users