• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:My Quadravans, Hunting, Fishing, N scale model trains of Rock Island, molding toys

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

I need outside ends from front axle off 1976 Ford F250 4x4 for disc brakes (HD dana 44 8 lug).

Thanks, Mitch :huh:
73 Quadravan Weekender

#2 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts
  • Interests:My Quadravans, Hunting, Fishing, N scale model trains of Rock Island, molding toys

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:16 PM

Ends means from the outer U-joint knuckles out. do not need entire front end axle. as I can swap out the drum assmbly for disc/rotor assmbly.

Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#3 econobaja

econobaja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Audio mixing stations, music arrangement for rock bands: making it sound just right, and of course ECONOLINES

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:12 AM

Mitch: Just wanted to clarify: (Do you want the knuckles too)??? If not you are wanting the spindle, hub, stub shaft, rotors, caliper brackets, calipers, and the lockout hubs.

#4 claykuch

claykuch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 672 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Mitch,
Why do you want windowless back doors? Your van is quite collectable being a short Quadravan. I would leave it original if I were you. Also, ford had poor quality standards back when they made these vans. Doors off other vans are quite difficult if not impossible to get lined up perfectlly. Also, those back windows are great for ventilation in the Summer.
Clayton
1974 Econoline E300 Camper

#5 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 02:26 PM

Mitch: Just wanted to clarify: (Do you want the knuckles too)??? If not you are wanting the spindle, hub, stub shaft, rotors, caliper brackets, calipers, and the lockout hubs.

yes, I am going to just take the U-joint out and take keepers out of knuckle and brake line loose and swap out with the disc setup. and I will keep my old lockouts for spares since I prefer the Big Dana Ford lockouts. so only half the knuckle that has the spindle/shaft will be kept with the rest.

Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#6 econobaja

econobaja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Audio mixing stations, music arrangement for rock bands: making it sound just right, and of course ECONOLINES

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

yes, I am going to just take the U-joint out and take keepers out of knuckle and brake line loose and swap out with the disc setup. and I will keep my old lockouts for spares since I prefer the Big Dana Ford lockouts. so only half the knuckle that has the spindle/shaft will be kept with the rest.

Mitch

Mitch: I'm pretty sure the ford 3/4 ton disk brake stuff is a five bolt spindle while your van has a drum six bolt spindle/knuckle. I'm pretty sure your going to need 74-87 3/4 ton Chevy disk brake stuff to do it if your going to keep your original knuckles and steering setup. Chevys have the six bolt spindle and the bearings inside the hub are just as big as the Ford stuff. The jam nut style on the ford stuff is why they need the big end on the hub to get the jam nut in there. Also the Chevy stuff is plentiful and the prices are lower..........

Greg

#7 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:07 PM

nope,

The "Big 44" or Dana HD 44 was same on Chevy, Dodge and Ford when ever it was used on 3/4 ton trucks from late 1960s till 1977 when Dana 60 replaced it. only some where internal hubs similar to Dana 60 like you are thinking. our Quadravans had external hubs as did the 1976 Ford 3/4 and a few Chevy's but I know for sure on the model Ford and I would like to use Ford parts when possible for ease of replacement parts look up as hard as it is already at parts house :wacko:
Gordon Abrams at the pathfinder web site said he has done both ways and it works, he just prefers the Chevy way to buy fewer parts.
I am already having hard time convincing mechanics that it has 1972 Dodge drums on it now. don't even want to try explaining Chevy will work too :D
Thanks for the help though! a lot of people do not understand truck 4x4 parts at all, even some of the interchange manuals are wrong. like one said the axle I am looking for was used on F250 from 1975-1978. and a lot of mechanics say Dodge, Ford nor Chevy 8 hole wheels will interchange. only thing I know close to that is the center hole on some Chevy wheels wont go over rear 1 ton hub on Ford or Dodge. something good to know before you are out in the middle of nowhere with flat and wrong wheel. same trouble with some Ford and Chevy wheels not fitting over Dodge drums or any discs :o
I have Dana manual for the HD 44 also have a couple 4x4 truck manuals for Fords. found a couple good parts links on the "Pirate 4x4" forum too but cant say I like too many of the members there :( as most will agree after the vote for Chris. several hard cases on that site that is why I mostly do this site. most everyone here is very friendly and helpful. not so judgmental and mouthy like a few on the Pirate site.

Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#8 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,411 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 11:40 PM

Mitch,, the problem with my interchange books, is that they only list exact interchanges. There are some cases where they will have a note saying that another part will fit,,, but that other part may only be cosmetically different. Example,, it might say that a painted bumper for a 74 van can also be used on a van that had a chrome bumper. It's kind of stupid really.
The never ending project:
74 E-100,,,302, Auto, P/S, P/B, A/C... Nickname "Rondo"
65 E-100,,,240, 3 on the tree.......... Nickname "The Fish"
-------------------------------------------------------------

#9 econobaja

econobaja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 10:16 AM

Mitch: Your van has a six bolt knuckle/spindle, and I think you will find that the ford disk brake donor axle you want to use has a five bolt knuckle/spindle. I will check into it again, as I would not want you to get parts your not going to be able to use. A friend of mine has a 78 ford 3/4 ton HD44 sitting on his garage floor that he never used, I will call him and have him count the bolts..........

Greg

#10 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:40 PM

78 has a dana 60 with internal hub not the big Dana 44 external. only a 1976 Ford 3/4 ton has the correct axle for our vans. not even the F350 has it.

Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#11 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 02:48 PM

if it is really an HD44 then it still has internal hub and not external. and they are not interchangable.

Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#12 econobaja

econobaja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 04:18 PM

Mitch: It's the ladder seventies Ford (eight lug) disk brake D44 with the dual piston calipers. The guy got it to upgreade the D30 in the front of his wrangler.
I saw it in his garage last time I went up to the states. I'll call him tonight so he can count the studs in the knuckle.......

Greg

#13 econobaja

econobaja

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 05:50 PM

Mitch: here's an article showing ford knuckles verses the others. If you take notice you will see that all the ford Knuckles are (Five bolt). You will need to use Chevy 74 to 76 D44 or Chevy 10 bolt parts from 77 to 87. And Yes the 10 bolt parts are the same as the 44 parts from and including the spindle outward. Here is the link showing the info you need. About three quarters the way down on the page you will see the half and three quarter ton ford stuff; under the title "Misconceptions"......... Greg

http://77cj.littleke...op_knucles.html

Here's another article that indicates that all ford knuckles have five bolts. (((Remember our knuckles are dodge which have 6 bolts)))

http://www.pirate4x4....php/t-118.html

#14 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:03 PM

yup,
saw that link before, again today in fact.
also note that the spindles on the 5 bolts are for internal locking hubs and those same articles say that Dana made many different spindles in different lengths too and this is the tricky part to match up when going from drum to disc but retaining the external lock hubs like I want to do. and Ford used the same parts in "1976 only" that Chevy and others did for other years. also the duel caliper disc did not come out for a few years after the HD44 was dropped. all I want is enough to ditch the Dodge drums and have Ford Disc on front. all else remains same. but I do not want to buy several individual $400 parts to do that.
the big external Dana locking hubs only have 2 weak parts (the plastic selector knob and the bronze cam) both of which My brother in-law will CNC a lifetime replacement for and then the U-joint will be the weak link. found links about this too. I want to retain as much Ford/stock parts as possible for ease of future repairs. I have had the duel calipers on 3rd gen Ford vans and Ford couriers and frankly they can keep them :wacko:

Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#15 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 11:15 PM

also that last link actually proves my point when read through :wacko:
those guys are mostly trying to beef up a 1/2 ton axle for Jeeps and just want regular Dana 44 not HD44.
like all my old IHC Scouts had stock.

Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users