• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 diftoyota

diftoyota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:4x4,working on cars/trucks, drive machinery at work,playing music...

Posted 28 April 2011 - 09:34 AM

hi i have my fun 1977 e-250 camper van. it has a c6 tranny and a 351w with a 4 barrel carb. wen the van is stuck in mud or even snow it sometime dosent even turn a wheel. if i put it in 1st gear(on the c6) it will do a good 20 mph witout touching the gas pedal (not good for a 4x4) the motor runs right, idles at 600-650rpm. i want the van to have more torque. i dont know if the tranny starts to go or its just bad gear ratios. it dosent seems to slip wille flooring it to the floor. i do miss a transmission passing gear linkage but with the tranny in 1st it woulnt boder it right? and if the van is movable in a stuck situation it will spin it wheels and all. its just from dead stop in the muck

as it cost alot for a gear ratio swap, i was thinking of droping in a 3 or 4 speed manual transmission with a bull low to solve my problem? i know were i can have a borg warner 4 speed with a bull low with clutch,pedals... for 150$.

what do you guys think?

#2 82E350FORD

82E350FORD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Econolines and Broncos, off road (racing and recreational) Rebuilding my Fords.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:32 PM

What kind of Borg trans and is it out of a van? I am old school and much prefer a manual to an automatic for four wheeling. If the trans is a top loader it will be tough to put into a van. v/r Dave in MD

#3 Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 09:34 AM

Some of those 3rd generation Econolines did have stick shift. They were top loaders & the shifter was on top.
So, should be no problem to put into your van if you have the parts.
Offhand I don’t recall exactly what trans they were. Should be just about like the 1979 & up Mustang & other Ford products with 4 & 5 speed transmissions. Some have different ratios & there were different strength transmissions. I know ‘79 Mustang V8 had different ratios that the 6 cylinder ones. You wouldn’t want either of those though I’d think.

#4 82E350FORD

82E350FORD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Econolines and Broncos, off road (racing and recreational) Rebuilding my Fords.

Posted 23 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

I owned several 3rd generation manual vans. None were top loaders. Trucks from that era were top loaders. An example is the NP435 Or T18.That would be tough to put in a van, the shifter would be lined up with the back of the engine cover. The old side loaders could be hooked up to a dana 20 from an early Bronco; however the 77 Q van should have an NP205 t case. Preferably back to the big granny low 4 speed - NP205 combination. v/r Dave in MD

#5 Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,524 posts

Posted 23 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

Oops! I wasn’t paying attention & thought your post was the first one since that's how it poped up. (first unread post)
I thought it was just a general question from someone that wanted to convert from an auto to a stick. Always a good idea. Auto trans suck.
The stick shift trans I saw for a 3rd gen van was removed from the van & disassembled. It was a top loader & the van was a 2 wheel drive, not a 4X4.
I still can’t see how the shifter would interfere with the doghouse or vice-versa. Doesn’t the rear of 3rd gen van’s doghouse end at about right over the bell housing? I know the carb is right under the dash. PIA to work on compared to a 2nd gen once the doghouse is off.

#6 82E350FORD

82E350FORD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 04:56 PM

Hi Tom. I've never installed one, but on the 3rd gen the tail of the engine cover looks like it would be right where the shifter comes out of an NP435 or a T-18. On my 73 Bronco I had to do some fancy tunnel fabricating when I switched to the NP435 4 speed. I would actually love to see one of those trans in a Q-van. My old 78 had a C-6 auto, which was ok but not too many options to regear. I changed my outlook and bought a 73 Bronco for four wheeling (after many years of four wheeling the van) and it works out better due to the size and weight. When the van got stuck, the recoveries were not so easy! V/R Dave in MD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users