Photo

Ford 302 Thermostat, Which Way To Install???

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JDM_GUY

JDM_GUY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 03:04 PM

I am in the process of installing a brand new thermostat into my 1973 ford mid van, it has a 302 V8 motor. When I took out the old thermostat, the spring side of the were towards the radiator and the cone part were toward the engine... I was thinking who was the STUPID ass wipe installed the thermostat wrong? to my knowledge, the thermostat (spring side) usually faces towards the engine. now I installed the new thermostat (spring side)to the engine and now im getting a lot of pressure, now feeling really stupid that I probably installed it wrong. Is the spring side facing the radiator the correct way??? because according the this coolant flow chart of SBF that i found on the net, the spring side of thermostat should be facing the radiator based on the flow. please let me know which is the correct way of installing the thermostat, thanks.

Posted Image

#2 Xplorer man

Xplorer man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Vanning, Truck-ins, Boats.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 05:46 PM

WHAT THE HECK IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!!!! I'm only kidding. I'm pretty sure the spring side goes toward the radiator. If you look harder at the picture you posted it kind of looks like the spring side is faced away from the engine. Later...
*72 E-300 219 Xplorer**
*DO it RIGHT or DON'T**

#3 JDM_GUY

JDM_GUY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 06:44 PM

WHAT THE HECK IS THE MATTER WITH YOU!!!! I'm only kidding. I'm pretty sure the spring side goes toward the radiator. If you look harder at the picture you posted it kind of looks like the spring side is faced away from the engine. Later...

hahah ok thanks. But tell me why should the spring side of the thermostat should be inside the motor when that picture illustrate hot water are coming out from the engine to the top radiator hose? shouldn't it be the thermostat (spring side) towards the radiator based on that flow chart so that the thermostat could open up?

this is a quote from another link

the coolant is drawn from the bottom of the radiator by the water pump which delivers the coolant to the cylinder block.The coolant travel through the cored passages to cool the entire length of each cylinder wall. Upon reaching the rear of the cylinder block, the coolant is directed upward into the cylinder heads, where it cools the combustion chambers, valves and valve seatson its return to the front of the engine.The coolant from each cylinder head flows through the water passages in the intake manifold past the water thermostat, if it is open, into the top of the radiator. If the thermostatis closed, a small portion of coolant is returned to the water pump for recirculation.

so by that statement, I'm thinking that the thermostat spring should be towards the radiator, correct me please. cause wanna run my van with a thermostat!!!

#4 Xplorer man

Xplorer man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • Interests:Vanning, Truck-ins, Boats.

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:23 PM

I'm digging myself a hole but I think it works like this; The spring is pushing against the door or the plate of the thermostat. Once the entire thermostat reaches the temp it requires to open, the pressure of the coolant moves through the door. The design of the thermostat, flow of the water and the door/plate closing and opening against the frame work of the thermostat on the radiator side allows the coolant to flow in the direction the water pump is pushing. The thermostat door has to seat itself on the opposite side of the moving water. The spring and the door push against the water not with it. Later... :blink:
*72 E-300 219 Xplorer**
*DO it RIGHT or DON'T**

#5 72chateauclubwagon

72chateauclubwagon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:01 PM

Guys,

I bought a few old (still made in the USA) Robertshaw thermostats for the van a while back. Installation instructions read "Install thermostat into groove with cone pointed toward radiator". The cone and the spring are on opposite sides of the thermostat, putting the spring towards the engine. The key is that there's an enclose chamber containing a wax pellet that drives a piston to open the thermostat. The chamber has to be submerged in coolant at all time, hence towards the engine. Hope this helps.

Steve
'72 E-200 Club Wagon Chateau
302, 3 spd, P/S, P/B, A/C
Wimbledon White (ext) / Ginger (int)
Tucson, AZ

#6 JDM_GUY

JDM_GUY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 08:12 PM

sorry for such silly question, I guess I installed the thermostat correct into my van then. I just don't understand why the old thermostat were installed the wrong way by the previous jack ass mechanic. here's a video that i found that also helped me understand how thermostat work under heat for the reason why the spring side should be towards the engine. http://www.videojug....rs-thermostat-2

#7 diftoyota

diftoyota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:4x4,working on cars/trucks, drive machinery at work,playing music...

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:19 PM

i have removed mine compltely. still runs fine and my heat needle sits right in the middle of the gauge.:P

#8 Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:03 AM

i have removed mine compltely. still runs fine

Not a good idea. How long does it take to warm up? For the sake of the engine you need it to warm up fast.

#9 diftoyota

diftoyota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Interests:4x4,working on cars/trucks, drive machinery at work,playing music...

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:30 AM

takes about 5 min to go to half. 1-2 min to start climbing up. i live in canada.tempature a bit colder here

#10 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

You might be fine in colder temps, but part of the point of the thermostat is to keep the coolant in the radiator long enough to get rid of the heat.
The never ending project:
74 E-100,,,302, Auto, P/S, P/B, A/C... Nickname "Rondo"
65 E-100,,,240, 3 on the tree.......... Nickname "The Fish"
-------------------------------------------------------------

#11 Sidepipes V/C

Sidepipes V/C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:02 AM

I ended up replacing the thermostat and housing last weekend. The housing was all corroded and sprung a leak.
Took off the bad housing and there wasn't even a thermostat in there! I put a new 195 degree one in with the
spring/longer end towards the engine and the "bridge" or short side towards the housing. From what I've read and
that little video its in there correctly.

I left off the PVS switch since I'm in the process of stripping off all the emissions junk.

So my question is, do I run the 195 or drop to a lower temp thermostat or does it matter?
I'm rocking a 74' E100 with a 302 Automatic transmission.

#12 JDM_GUY

JDM_GUY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:26 AM

I thought the hotter the place is the cooler the number of thermostat needed to be used, and colder the place is the hotter number thermostat. I've always used lower number thermostat such as 160 although I'm on the west coast.

#13 Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,536 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 05:14 AM

I've always used lower number thermostat such as 160...

Your engine needs more heat in it than that to run right. I wouldn’t go less than 185 & I think that is what they came with & what ‘the books' call for. 195 won’t hurt either if it’s a little cooler where you live.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users