Quadravan Or Pathfinder?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 bonetone

bonetone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:4wding/camping/camping/4wding/Beach/Boy Scout adventures with my last soon to be Eagle Scout.And most importantly spreading the good news,ask me Im not shy or bi !

Posted 28 June 2011 - 01:32 AM

Hello,brand new to 4wd Vans.I have not found several answers,hopefully this might help others in future purchases? as well.
Here goes I did some "homework" before buying this 1979 E250 "Pathfinder" 460/front coil.It has no exterior emblems/badges (or mounting holes) that indicate it is.What is the difference if any between Pathfinder and a Quadravan??Only evidence I have is #1 T/case T handle with Pathfinder etched into the handle #2 A plate directly in front mounted at the dog house that states Pathfinder of city of industry ca,also the 4wd shift pattern embossed on the plate?I did read that City Of Industry was a "satalite" office/shop.
Any clarification would be appreciated.Ive started a small fire here amongst 2 friends and they are feverously looking for their 4WD van!!Like previous opinions I did not think I would get hurt$$ too bad with how this Van drove and performed on some rocky railway passages on the roadtest.I do have some body work to address but rust is minimal.This Van drove approx 120 miles on a 1/4 tank( yet to determine tank capacity lol)And handled like an asphalt queen compared to my Bronco.Before embarking (spending $$$$) I would love to know it is what it says it is.My goals if founded are a Baja/Expedition Van.

Again thanks for any consideration.Tony

Attached Files

HE> i
IAM2ND

#2 Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 04:49 AM

A Pathfinder and Quadravan are the same thing.Pathfinder made the Quadravan.Some have Quadravan embles and some don't.

Here are mine,

1978 E250 460/C6/NP205

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1978 E250 460/C6/NP205

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1978 E250 460/C6/NP205

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1978 E250 460/C6/NP205

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1979 E250 351W/C6/NP205

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rear E350 1979 460/C6/NP205

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 bonetone

bonetone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Interests:4wding/camping/camping/4wding/Beach/Boy Scout adventures with my last soon to be Eagle Scout.And most importantly spreading the good news,ask me Im not shy or bi !

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:27 AM

A very big Thank You to Hoofbeats,Ive read some of your writings.Well now the Game begins.May I ask your Maroon Van has a Passenger side "locker" was/is that for a generator?mine has one with a fuel line in it so I assume it fed a generator.Thanks again for clarifying.
HE> i
IAM2ND

#4 Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:59 AM

The E350 is actually Dark Brown Metallic.It may have had a generator or some other piece of equipment.It was also built for a logging company in Oklahoma City.It has a lot of things in common with yours so they may have both been made by an aftermarket company.They were both Logging vans,they both have lights in back and they both have added bumpers.Mine's little different then yours.

If you'll PM me your VIN I'll see what I can find out about it.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 bonetone

bonetone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

Hoofbeat I really appreciate the time/your time.I will pm vin in the am and try to get additional photos of mine.You have quite a Corral "HOOFBEAT".I hope you wont be sorry ! for helping me , but not much out their .Other than repairing this Van I dont want to butcher it.I would like it to represent a true Quadravan in the end,like yours.How did you fit larger tires under a couple of yours,a couple pics at various angles appear you have cut the front fenders rearward at the front door openings?I have cut and folded many a fender,and especially considering since these are bountiful to replace.I just found my rear quarter pieces @ LMC truck which i have used for my Bronco.Thanks again
HE> i
IAM2ND

#6 Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 01:10 AM

The only one that had any cutting done to it was the blue and silver van.It was already done when I bought it.It was done so that it could run 35" tires without a lift.All they did was cut the skinny part out and moved the bottom tip to the cut off point.All of my other vans have 31" or 33" tires.

Posted Image

#7 bonetone

bonetone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Well Hoofbeat,Ive been a flake...Got discouraged,disillusioned and D E pressed after 14 hours on interior.Then to top if off it is now a 7 cylinder 460.Theirs no way Im into a com-plete resto for this old gurl,just not worth it ....SO I bought a 1987 E350 Collins Bantam B U S and in impecable condition>Just went through mechanical and lighting side of it and hopefully begin swaping Q van compoents in the next couple weeks after securing parts from Gordon @ Pathfinder to freshen her up.

Attached Files

HE> i
IAM2ND

#8 bonetone

bonetone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

Again Thank you
HE> i
IAM2ND

#9 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:My Quadravans, Hunting, Fishing, N scale model trains of Rock Island, molding toys

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:09 PM

Quadravan is the name given Ford conversions done by the Pathfinder corp. (not the nison Pathfinder suv pos)
pathfinder done other brands starting in 75 also
Dodge/Plymouth called Wrangler (B4 jeep used the name)
Chevy?GMC called K-Van
the short Chevy 110" WB was popular for its short full frame with bigger engine options far as I know Fords where done the longest/most between 80-91
in 75 Pathfinder also started using NP T-cases in most conversions still gear drive but heavier and most devorced type with small double U joint to tranny. I prefer mine but to each his own. B) Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#10 Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

You're wrong on a few points.
1.The Chevy (K Van) did not have a frame.The 1975+ Ford Econolines were the only vans that had frames which is why you could only get a K Van as a G30.You could get a 1975+ Quadravan as an E250 or E350.

2.The Chevy K Van did not have bigger engine options.It was either a 350 or a 400.With the Quadravan you could get a 351 or a 460.

3.The Dodge van was called the Van Charger.Like the Chevy,it didn't have a frame and only came in the one ton version.It was the only one that was full time four wheel drive.It's engine options were the 318,the 360 and the 400.

#11 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,404 posts
  • Interests:My Quadravans, Hunting, Fishing, N scale model trains of Rock Island, molding toys

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:31 PM

yeah I was refering to the 2nd gen Qvans engine size, sorry. also had diesels in 3rd gens and 440 in dodge but never liked full time especialy if not 2 speed T-case like several of their hi side only. I saw 2 Chevys up close and they sure look like body on frames like 3rd gen Fords.also most made after 77 had single stick T-case stead of twin stick which I also prefer like on the 2nd Gen Fords. latest Chevys I have seen where 1982, Dodge only saw late 70s so looks like Ford was main choice for 4x4 Vans. and gear drive T-case.
Boy are we compiling some info on these are what LOL.

Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#12 Hoofbeats

Hoofbeats

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:27 AM

The K Van was started in 1976 and had an NP205.It had a front sub frame.They were the only ones with leaf springs in front which may be why you see a lot of lifted Chevys.

Here is a picture of my 1978 Dodge VanChager.

Posted Image

Underside.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users