3 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:15 AM

I want to make it clear that this is not aimed at or singling out any particular person. There have been a few that have made these mistakes. Maybe they are new to posting on boards such as this one.
Hopefully this will be helpful & save future confusion.

From time to time I see replies to posts that are confusing. Complete posts are quoted with no comment or reply from the person that replied. Replies that are mixed up in someone elseís post that was quoted.

When you hit that ĎReplyí button at the bottom right of a post you get something that looks like this one quoting one of my typical comments.

Bla bla bla bla & bla bla bla

But that is not always the way that you want to reply in a thread.

Posted Image

If you surround the word quote with these brackets ---> [ ] on each side of it in front of any group of words & /quote surrounded by the same brackets at the end of that group of words you will get a quote box like the one above.
So, your text would look like this....

Posted Image

If you quote someone directly & leave in the timestamp thing, that looks like this example,
-----> timestamp='1317233755' post='40352',
you can easily read that original quoted post by clicking here.

Posted Image

Iíd like to add that I donít think that I am alone in appreciating it when someone replies without quoting an entire prior post, or worse yet the entire post including a whole long string of photos that we have just seen.
Thank you!

#2 n2ri

n2ri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,430 posts
  • Interests:My Quadravans, Hunting, Fishing, N scale model trains of Rock Island, molding toys

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

good idea Tom, we could use some help instructions on several features in this new forum program.
;) Mitch
73 Quadravan Weekender

#3 Roger

Roger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Nice work Tom. I appreciate you guys taking time to explain stuff like this. I haven't been around the forum as much as I should be this summer. Just kinda burned out from work I guess.
The never ending project:
74 E-100,,,302, Auto, P/S, P/B, A/C... Nickname "Rondo"
65 E-100,,,240, 3 on the tree.......... Nickname "The Fish"
-------------------------------------------------------------

#4 Tom Snyder

Tom Snyder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

Thank you very much N2ri & Roger! Been wanting to do that for some time now & it took a while to put it together so really appreciate it. Hope I explained some things well enough. I do believe that a picture is worth a thousand words, so.....

Mitch, the one feature in this new forum program that I really think sucks is finding all the posts from an individual.
This comes in real handy when you know that a certain person posted some real good info & you want to refer someone else to that post or posts.
It used to work real good on the old system & would give you a long list of posts, now, hardly any. I donít know what happened to it.
I have checked & rechecked my profile settings several times & canít find anything wrong.

Roger, can you put someone on to this problem?
Nope, you ainít been around much.
Meanwhile I have become quite the post whore here. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users